- Special Marker for marine navigation.
- Attach to either the Marker Buoy 400 or 500.
- Comes in yellow to meet maritime standards.
- Special Marks indicate a special area or feature marked on a chart or referred to in appropriate nautical documents.
- Click here for PDF of line drawing
Special Marks indicate a special area or feature marked on a chart or referred to in appropriate nautical documents.
Special Marks indicate:
Ocean Data Acquisition Systems (ODAS) Marks
traffic separation marks where use of conventional channel marking may cause confusion
military exercise zones
cables or pipelines
A Special Mark is yellow. It may carry a yellow “X” Top Mark, and if it has a light, that will be yellow. Yellow lights on Special Marks should have characters other than those used for Cardinal, Isolated Danger and Safe Water. Their special shapes do not conflict with navigational Marks; this means, for example, that a special buoy located on the Port hand side of a channel may be cylindrical, but will not be conical. Special Marks may also be lettered or numbered to indicate their purpose.